Create an old-fashioned classic with this creamy pea and ham soup.
The ingredient of Pea and ham soup
- 1 medium (about 600g) ham hock
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) dried green split peas, rinsed, drained
- 1 leek, pale section only, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 cups (1 litre) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 cup (120g) frozen peas
- 1/2 cup (125ml) thickened cream
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Pea and ham soup
- Place the ham hock, split peas, leek, carrot, celery and garlic in a slow cooker. Pour over the stock and 2 cups (500ml) cold water. Cook on high for 6 hours (or low for 8 hours), or until the peas are tender. Use tongs to transfer the ham hock to a large heatproof bowl.
- Add the frozen peas to the slow cooker and cook for 15 mins or until heated through and tender.
- Meanwhile, remove any meat from the ham bone. Discard bone and rind. Coarsely chop the ham.
- Transfer half the pea mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Return to the slow cooker with half the ham and half the cream and stir to combine.
- Ladle the soup among serving bowls. Drizzle with remaining cream and top with remaining ham. Sprinkle with parsley leaves and serve immediately.
Nutritions of Pea and ham soupcalories: 358.5 calories
calories: 13 grams fat
calories: 6 grams saturated fat
calories: 30 grams carbohydrates
calories: 27 grams protein