This budget and easy soup is the perfect winter warmer for your family.
The ingredient of Pea, ham & sausage soup
- 2 1/2 cups (500g) dried green split peas, soaked overnight in cold water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 30g unsalted butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1 cup (250ml) dry white wine
- 1 cup (250ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock or vegetable liquid stock
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 150ml sour cream
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to serve
- 8 mixed smoked sausages (such as cabanossi, Vienna frankfurts, kransky and bratwurst)
- Rye bread, to serve
The instruction how to make Pea, ham & sausage soup
- Drain soaked peas. Rinse and drain again.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add ham, peas, wine, stock, herbs and zest with 1.5 litres (6 cups) water. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat, skimming any foam that rises to the top. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 2 hours until ham and peas are tender, stirring occasionally to prevent catching and topping up with more water if its becoming too thick. Remove ham hocks from the soup. Cool, then peel and shred meat, discarding skin and bone. Set aside.
- Stir sour cream and parsley into soup. If you prefer a smoother soup, cool slightly then puree half in a blender. Return to pan with shredded ham and heat through.
- Meanwhile, cook sausages in boiling water for 2-3 minutes to heat through. Drain well and transfer to a plate. Slice some of the sausages. Divide soup among bowls. Serve topped with sliced sausages and extra parsley, with remaining sausages and bread on the side.
Nutritions of Pea, ham & sausage soupcalories: 665.615 calories
calories: 38 grams fat
calories: 18 grams saturated fat
calories: 41 grams carbohydrates
calories: 5 grams sugar
calories: 32 grams protein
calories: 75 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 861.97 milligrams sodium