They say chicken soup is good for the soul. This one is no exception - youll just fall in love with the flavours.
The ingredient of Chicken, freekeh, kale and chickpea soup
- 120g (2/3 cup) cracked freekeh
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 brown onions, finely chopped
- 4 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2L (8 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- 800g chicken thigh fillets, fat trimmed
- 2 x 400g cans no-added-salt chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 400g (peeled and deseeded) Kent pumpkin, finely chopped
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
The instruction how to make Chicken, freekeh, kale and chickpea soup
- Cook the freekeh in a saucepan of boiling water for 12 minutes or until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion and celery, stirring occasionally, foru00a06u00a0minutes or until soft. Add the garlic, cumin and cinnamon. Stir foru00a01 minute or until aromatic.
- Add the stock and water. Bring to the boil. Add chicken. Reduce heat to low. Simmer gently, partially covered, for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Use tongs tou00a0transfer the chicken tou00a0a clean board. Setu00a0aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Thinly slice the chicken.
- Add the chickpeas, pumpkin and freekeh to the stock mixture. Simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Add the chicken and kale. Stir for 1-2u00a0minutes or until kale is just wilted. Season with pepper and lemon juice.
Nutritions of Chicken, freekeh, kale and chickpea soupcalories: 326.235 calories
calories: 11 grams fat
calories: 2 grams saturated fat
calories: 23 grams carbohydrates
calories: 30 grams protein